I made a BIG life transition when our family moved from the Chicago suburbs to the outskirts of San Antonio, Texas. Here are some lessons I learned. An executive coach invited me to take the word “T-R-A-N-S-I-T-I-O-N” and come up with a word/phrase, using each letter, to represent what I was experiencing.
Think about a transition you are facing or reflect on where you’ve been…
T – Transitions take time and more than I ever imagined
R – Respect the process, transition doesn’t happen overnight, it ebbs and flows
A –Ask for help, people want to give support and like feeling helpful
N –New is all around, embrace it
S –Slow down and simplify when change happens to appreciate laughter, sunshine, kindness
I –Intuition is the best guide, you know what you need so listen to yourself
T –Transparency is key, freely share your highs and lows because your tribe cares
I –Intentionality is your guide for making decisions, choosing your behavior and taking action
O –Opportunities exist everywhere if you are paying attention
N –Nurture yourself
Reflect on transitions you’ve encountered over the years using these questions:
· When transition are you facing or have faced recently?
· What surprised you?
· What provided reassurance?
· Who stepped up and helped you navigate the transition?
· How did your life change because of the transition?
· What did you learn?
· What do you wish you knew before the transition occurred?
· What advice do you have to share with others about transitions?
· What opportunities does change bring about for you?